Saturday, August 8, 2009

A good craft gone bad, and then back to good!

As I mentioned in our first post, I bought some letters to make my son's name. It's pretty standard baby room decor and I thought it was a good idea. I wanted something simple and small, so I naturally chose the 9 1/2" mdf serif letters (<--- this is sarcasm). It was a moment of ridiculousness and I regret it, but they were on sale and I had put this project off long enough. I get home and start my project. That's when I realize my paints are crap (stupid Texas heat). The ones that aren't crap are still crap because they are ugly. I forge ahead...for some reason. Then this happens:
They were ugly and I knew it and I threw them in a closet and forgot about them until yesterday. Yesterday I had the sudden and insatiable urge to make cute letters for Daniel's room. I remembered the ones I had murdered and decided to dig them out and perform CPR.

I began by painting them white. I figured I start new. Three coats of paint later, the closet was looking really good again. Those giant, alphabetic bastards were taunting me with those putrid colors. They bled through time and again.

That's when my genius struck.

Ok, so I am sure that 1 million crafters before me have had this idea, but it was a new one for me. And I think it's awesome. So as the craft elitists collectively roll their eyes, let me show you what I came up with!

(Click me, I get bigger. Or not, no pressure.)

Scrapbook paper! It was sitting right on the ground (where it belongs, right?) and I thought why not? I sponged adhesive glue onto the letter, plopped the letter on paper and used my exacto knife to slice all around them. This picture honestly looks like crap, but I finished at about 9 and the little dude was fast asleep. I wasn't about to put them on his wall and snap some photos, so you all get my kitchen table with horrid lighting. I'll work on a better pic tomorrow. Maybe.

Now it's all hung up. A bit of wire and some nails did the trick.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Genious! I've been wanting to do some for my boys' room too but haven't gotten around to it because I feared it would come out horribly (I can't paint to save my life)...thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete